Foot & Heel Pain
Foot & heel pain can be caused by a number of different conditions. But, the most common cause is wearing poor-fitting (or poorly designed) shoes.
Whether or not you spend a great deal of time on your feet, it is important that your arches are properly supported, that the shoe is wide enough and that the heels are not too high.
High-heeled pointy toed shoes cause more aches and pains than just the ones experienced in the feet. The knees, hips and back can suffer as well.
On the other hand, well-fitting, well-designed shoes can resolve those problems, help to tone your legs and improve your posture.
Below, you will see a list of conditions that will cause foot & heel pain, a brief description, other symptoms that are associated with the condition, if applicable, and the causes.
Treatments for these conditions are listed here or on other pages of this website.
Pain-relieving drugs are often taken, but they are accompanied by unwanted side effects, of both a short and long-term nature, including liver damage.
The treatments listed here provide support, pain-relief and promote healing, without unwanted side effects.
- Inflammation of the Achilles tendon
- Symptoms: pain primarily concentrated in the heel area, when standing or during physical activity
- Causes: overuse, poor training
- Recommended treatments: listed on the Achilles Tendonitis page of this website
- Damage to the joints accompanied by inflammation
- Symptoms: knee, ankle, foot & heel pain, sometimes accompanied by redness, swelling or enlargement of the joints
- Causes: multiple causes, depending on the type
- Recommended treatments and products: anti-inflammatory creams, such as DynaFreeze, shoe orthotics or removable insoles, shoe stretchers to accommodate enlarged joints, foot and ankle supports and orthopedic footwear
- Inflammation of the shock-absorbing cushions that protect the joints from injury
- Symptoms: pain and swelling, particularly in the morning, can affect any joint of the foot or heel, as well as other parts of the body
- Causes: overuse, repetitive motion, such as occurs during running; inappropriate hiking, running or walking shoes
- Recommended treatments and products: HTA pain relief spray, DynaFreeze anti-inflammatory cream, Sol Step to reduce pressure in the heel area, silicone insoles and orthopedic footwear
- Deformity of the feet, characterized by high arches, hammertoes and loss of strength
- Symptoms: before deformities become apparent, swelling, foot & heel pain and/or redness is noticed in the toes and other joints of the feet
- Causes: Genetic defects, diabetic neuropathy and diseases involving the nerves
- Recommended treatments and products: adjustable slip-on shoes, such as those made by Drew
- Read more about Charcot Foot
- Chronic strain, partial dislocation or inflammation of the joints or ligaments in the area of the cuboid bone, which along with the calcaneus is responsible for lateral (side to side) foot stability
- Symptoms: pain near the outer or inner edges of the feet, sometimes radiating from one side to the other; general weakness of the feet
- Causes: improperly healed injury to the joints, ligaments or bones of the foot; repetitive injury or motions; landing from a jump; inappropriate athletic shoes
- Recommended treatments and products: manipulation of the foot by a trained podiatrist; custom orthotics; insoles; appropriate athletic shoes, such as Wellness Shoes
- Damage to the nerves of the feet
- Symptoms: foot & heel pain, tingling, numbness, burning sensations
- Cause: a complication of diabetes
- Recommended treatments and products listed on the diabetic neuropathy/diabetic foot care page
Fallen Arches/Flat Feet
- Conditions in which the arch of the foot is weak, damaged, collapsed or non-existent; the foot lays flat on the floor, rather than arching in the middle
- Symptoms: varies from no pain, at all, to pain in the feet and calves to reduced ability to walk
- Causes: genetic, the arch never developed, injury, illness, prolonged stress on the foot
- Recommended treatments and products: arch braces, such as those made by Foot Smart, custom orthotics, cushion insoles, appropriate shoes
- The most common causes of foot & heel pain
- Recommended treatments and products: rest; wearing appropriate shoes; soaking in a foot bath, such as the Hot Spa Ultimate; massage, a variety of massagers are available from Foot Smart, including the Total Leg and Foot Massager, which improves circulation and promotes healing